July 9, 2005

RUNO

Rainer Maria Rilke
A Brief Rilke Biography

(for Lou Andreas-Salomé)

***
"Put my eyes out: I can still see;

slam my ears shut: I can still hear,


walk without feet to where you were,

and, tongueless, speak you into being.

Snap off my arms: I'll hold you hard


in my heart's longing like a fist;

halt that, my brain will do its beating,

and if you set this mind of mine aflame,

then on my blood I'll carry you away."

(Tekstin lihavointi ja kursivointi /RR)

***
Translation by William Gass

I wonder whether this poem is a reply, at least in part, to Matthew 5:27-30 (part of the "Sermon on the Mount"). Rilke might be saying that even if his offending, passionate members are amputated, his passion will remain: his desire is impossible to extirpate and, apparently, happily so, as being part of his essential human nature.

See Pascal's thoughts about destroying the body
Return to Philosophical Snippets Page

No comments: