February 23, 2012

Oh ! Lord, stuck in Lodi again

Amerikkalainen pikkukaupunki 1960-luvun alkupuolelta. Voisi olla vaikka Lodi.
*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRgotSsAnE
John Fogerty - Lodi - - [live HD audio from the Beacon Theater in New York, November 18, 2011].
*
LODI - This is another song title that I had carried around since my childhood, somehow knowing that I would someday write a song about it. I just liked the sound of it. Funny thing is though my family had traveled all around Northern California when I was young, I’m pretty sure that I had never been to Lodi - [John Fogerty].

Lyrics

Just about a year ago, I set out on the road,
Seekin' my fame and fortune, lookin' for a pot of gold.
Things got bad, and things got worse, I guess you will know the tune.
Oh ! Lord, stuck in Lodi again.

Rode in on the Greyhound, I'll be walkin' out if I go.
I was just passin' through, must be seven months or more.
Ran out of time and money, looks like they took my friends.
Oh ! Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again.

The man from the magazine said I was on my way.
Somewhere I lost connections, ran out of songs to play.
I came into town, a one night stand, looks like my plans fell through
Oh ! Lord, stuck in Lodi again.

If I only had a dollar, for ev'ry song I've sung.
And ev'ry time I've had to play while people sat there drunk.
You know, I'd catch the next train back to where I live.
Oh ! Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again.

II
John Fogerty Twitters A History of the Green River Album While Playing It in New York [Saturday, November 19, 2011]

John Fogerty has been a very active user of Twitter over the years and, Friday night [18.11.2011], he used the social network to fill in his audience at the Beacon Theater, and the rest of the world, on a history of the album Green River.

The concert is the second of two nights at the Beacon where he played Cosmos Factory in its entirety on Thursday and Green River on Friday. The following are his tweets with his thoughts on each of the cuts.

GREEN RIVER - This is one of my favorite songs. When I was quite young my family use to travel to a little campsite by a little river in Northern California. Part of the lore was that the old man we saw occasionally was a direct descendant of Buffalo Bill Cody.. (son or grandson?.. he was like, ninety and this was 1949!). I loved it there and this place has informed what I feel is important ever since. At about the age of eight, I became fascinated with the label on a soda fountain drink and it came to represent the whole mystical dimension of youth, freedom, nature, exploration, and life “on the river”.

COMMOTION - I love to play the train beat. It’s not so obvious in this song but that’s where it started. Even forty years ago, I was irritated by the fast pace and rapidly increasing information overload of modern life.

TOMBSTONE SHADOW - Sometime early in 1969, I played a show in San Bernadino, California. Right across the street from the hotel there was a little shop advertising “Fortune Teller”. I went in and got my fortune read. This song is a note for note replay of that experience.

WROTE A SONG FOR EVERYONE - The late sixties was, of course, a time of great turmoil in America and around the world. Politically and socially this new energy seemed to be affecting everything. As some of this conflict played out in our media you could watch famous people from the older generation having trouble communicating with the younger generation. I had in mind a so-called leader of millions who couldn’t even lead his own son.

BAD MOON RISING - I think I knew I was going to write this song for a long time. There is an old black and white movie called “The Devil and Daniel Webster”. In this classic story a farmer is down on his luck and the Devil shows up and offers to make the man successful beyond his wildest dreams. There is only one catch… the man has to agree to give the Devil his soul. Of course, the farmer says yes. Soon after, there is a great storm, a hurricane really, that lasts all night while the farmer cowers in his barn. The next morning, he awakens to see devastation everywhere. All the crops of his neighbors are smashed completely into the ground and yet his crops are straight up to the sky. That scene made a big impression on me.

LODI - This is another song title that I had carried around since my childhood, somehow knowing that I would someday write a song about it. I just liked the sound of it. Funny thing is though my family had traveled all around Northern California when I was young, I’m pretty sure that I had never been to Lodi.

CROSS-TIE WALKER - Well, here it is then. I love trains. I love stories about trains. I love to watch trains. And especially, I love songs about trains! When I was quite young, we were stopped in our family car, at a Railroad Crossing. It was a long, long train. I think we were somewhere in Montana where my parents came from. My Dad made a point of telling me that the engine was one of those very old and rare engines that you probably won’t see much anymore. It was a steam engine from by-gone days and this romantic and mythic vision has inspired me throughout my life. Thanks, Dad.

SINISTER PURPOSE - Ahhhh. A song about de Devil. I don’t believe I have ever played this live before.

THE NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME - First of all, let me just say I LOVE Ray Charles! Incredible singing, great songs, great playing, great band… you get the idea. There is an album by Ray somewhere, out there. It used to be called “In Person”. It was recorded almost accidentally with the simplest of equipment. It is, in my opinion, the greatest live album EVER recorded. Get it. Anyway, this song is one of the great songs on Ray’s record and a song I have been performing since high school.
*
http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/57672/john-fogerty-performing-cosmos-factory-green-river-in-entirety-at-beacon-theater.html
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-fogerty/2011/beacon-theatre-new-york-ny-3d1e50b.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_(album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodi,_California
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2011/11/john-fogerty-twitters-history-of-green.html
http://the60sofficialsite.com/Things_You_Just_Don't_Hear_Anymore.html

8 comments:

Ironmistress said...

Tuo levy löytyy meiltä levyhyllystä.

Vinyylinä.

Melkein puhki soitettuna.

Ironmistress said...

Alkuperäinen Lodin kaupunkihan löytyy tietysti Italiasta. Myös Ohiosta löytyy Lodi.

Rauno Rasanen said...

1
Tarkoitatko singleä Bad moon rising/Lodi vai itse LP:tä Green river? Onko levy esim. vanhempiesi vai sinun itse hankkimasi?

Tämä single julkaistiin sentään jo 4/1969, Green river/Commotion 7/1969 ja LP Green river 8/1969, joten Woodstockissa esiintyessään CCR oli USA:n Billboard-200 listan ykkösbändi tai ainakin juuri nousemassa kärkeen.

2
Olen melko otettu näiden kahden Beacon-keikan [Cosmo's Factory, Green River] youtubesta löytyvien äänitysten korkeasta tasosta varsinkin, kun kuulen Sinister Purposen ensimmäisen kerran livenä ja Tombstone Shadowista ehkä parhaimman version ikinä.

Kaikki Cosmo's Factoryn [edellisenä iltana 17.11] biisit eivät ehkä toimi lavalla niin hyvin kuin Green riverin, joka kuulostaa aika ajoin jopa paremmalta kuin alkuperäinen studio-LP [toki orkestrointi on nyt toisenlainen ja muusikot alansa huippua], mutta kyllä Cosmon tehtaallakin on suuremmoiset hetkensä. Ainakin yksi. Palaan asiaan.

On tosin hieman paradoksaalista, että juuri Fogertyn loistava bändi tekee esim. jostain CF:n Ramble Tamblesta jotenkin liian kiireisen ja liian täyteen ahdetun. Ei ole ensimmäinen kerta, kun jäin kaipaamaan alkuperäistä CCR:rää - en niinkään bändinostalgian kuin alkuperäisen sovituksellisuuden vuoksi.

Mutta Fogerty tekee huippubändinsä kanssa huippulaadukkaasti sitä mitä haluaa ja Green river kuten sanottu toimii lähes 3000 paikan intiimissä Beacon-teatterissa vähintäin yhtä hyvin kuin alkuperäinen julkaisu, joskin soitannolliset lähtökohdat ja resurssit ovat kovin erilaiset.

Aiemmin hiukan tylsänä pitämäni Cross-Tie Walker taisi olla Sinister Purpose'n ohella Beacon-Green riverin suurin positiivinen yllätys minulle.

Lauluteknisesti ja feedbackin käytön suhteen huikeassa Night time is the right time'ssa 66-vuotiaan Fogertyn falsetti alkaa tosin olla jo äärirajoillaan, vaikka hänen äänensä on yhä uskomattoman hyvä [esim. se äsken vihjaamani suuremmoinen hetki Cosmo's Factorylla].

John Cameronin kitaransoittotaidot ovat joka tapauksessa parantuneet CCR:n päivistä huomattavassa määrin.

3
Jo useiden amerikkalaisten kaupunkien nimet kertovat, että USA on maahanmuuttajien maa.

Ironmistress said...

1) LP. Ja ihan itse ostettu 1980-luvun alussa. Ruukinmatruunalla on vinyylinä kaikki muut CCR:n levyt paitsi Bayou Country, joka kyllä on CD:llä. [Born on the Bayou on upea biisi.]

2) Oletko muuten ikinä verrannut Cosmo's Factoryn ja Eppu Normaalin LP:n Akun tehdas kansia keskenään?

Vihje: mitä yhteistä on Aku Syrjällä ja Doug "Cosmo" Cliffordilla?

3) Jep. Nimistö on sujuvasti suunnilleen kaikkia mahdollisia maailman kieliä - pääosassa natiivikielet, englanti, espanja ja ranska.

Rauno Rasanen said...

Onko myös CCR:n ensimmäinen LP, josta löytyy mm. Suzie Q? Bayou Country'han on toinen. Ja viimonen eli Mardi Gras [nimi on tässä tapauksessa joko tyylitajuttomuutta tai tylyä itseironiaa], jossa ei ole muuta hyvää kuin ne Fogertyn neljä biisiä. CCR:n lopetukseksi John sen tarkoittikin. Ei suostunut laulamaan Stu'n ja Doug'in biisejä [eli tekemään niistä creedenceä kuten he toivoivat] eikä myöskään soittamaan soolokitaraa niillä. Vaadittu täydellinen joskin hieman karu bändi-demokratia toteutui ja totuus paljastui. CCR olisi ollut vähemmän kuin keskinkertainen yhtye ilman Johnia.

Ironmistress said...

Kyllä vain! Se löytyi divarista 80-luvun lopulla. Bayou Countryä ei ikinä löytynyt, mutta onneksi sen sai CD:nä.

Pendulum näyttää jo, että ristiriidat alkavat hajottaa bändiä, ja Mardi Gras oli sitten loppupiste. Veikeää sinänsä, että Sweet Hitch-Hiker antoi ymmärtää uuden musiikkityylin - hard rockin - noususta.

Rauno Rasanen said...

1
Että mitä yhteistä on Aku Syrjällä ja Doug 'Cosmo' Cliffordilla levykansissa?

Eh - oliks tää joku kompa vai?

Akun tehdas-LP:n nimi ja sen kannen idea on suoraan Cosmo's Factorysta. Levyn musiikista ei silti välttämättä löydy selviä yhtäläisyyksiä CCR:ään.

Muuta en 'keksi'.

2
Juha Torvinenhan oli Eppujen vannoutunein Fogerty-friikki. Muistamme tietysti hänen biisinsä John Fogerty, joka [hyvin hämärästi] muistaakseni lähetettin englanninkielisenä versiona myös itse John Cameronille.

Ironmistress said...

Ei ollut tuon enempää kompa :) Vitsihän on siinä, että sekä Aku Syrjä että Doug Clifford olivat rumpaleita, ja Cosmo's Factory oli CCR:n treenikämppä.

Meillä on molemmat levyt vinyylinä. Levyjen kannet ovat ikäänkuin kopioita toisistaan - ja myös samat kaverit istuvat samojen vekottimien päällä. Hauska detalji on, että Cosmo's Factoryssä on läystä jossa lukee "3rd Generation", kun taas Akun tehtaassa lapussa lukee "5th sukupolvi".